What is a Frappuccino?
Generally speaking, a frappuccino is a Starbucks drink that the company put a trademark on.
It consists of blended ice, coffee, different flavoring syrups, etc.
This delicious drink was created by a Starbucks barista and quickly became a hit.
The first flavors the drink came in were two; coffee and mocha.
Now, you can find this cold coffee at every Starbucks outlet, and it is made in various forms for everyone to enjoy!
Is Caffeine Present in Starbucks Frappuccino?
In a nutshell, the original Frappuccino does consist of caffeine; however, there are other variants of it that are caffeine free.
There are two major categories of the Starbucks Frappuccino; coffee and crème.
Some people prefer the coffee Frappuccino as they need that caffeine hit, while others might be sensitive and would want the decaf or no coffee-containing version instead.
The caffeine content of frappuccinos can range from 85 to 155mg, while the crème frappuccinos mostly contain 0-15 mg of caffeine.
Although all the coffee frappucinos contain caffeine in it, the crème frappuccino might or might not contain caffeine, depending on what you order.
Coffee isn’t the only ingredient that has caffeine in it; some drinks include chocolate or tea as well, which are the other sources of caffeine.
Compared to coffee, the caffeine content of other sources is quite less, but for some people, it is a big deal.
Suppose you’re someone who doesn’t want a caffeinated frappuccino, then you can pick drinks like Vanilla Bean Frappuccino, Strawberry crème Frappuccino, Pumpkin spice crème Frappuccino, etc. from the menu.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a good caffeine hit, luckily, most of their Frappuccino contain caffeine, and you can try out any of their famous flavors that contain coffee.
If that’s not enough, you can tell the barista to add in extra espresso shots to make your drink even stronger!
How Much Caffeine Does a Starbucks Frappuccino Contain?
Now that you know there are caffeinated and non-caffeinated frappuccinos available at every Starbucks outlet let’s talk about how much caffeine do these different drinks contain.
- The Espresso Frappuccino: A grande cup of an espresso Frappuccino contains approximately 155mg of caffeine in it, while the venti cup size has 185mg, which is definitely a lot! This drink contains a mixture of milk, frapp roast, a shot of espresso, and lots of ice, all blended together to give all the caffeine addicts their fill!
- Coffee Frappuccino: This drink contains 95mg of caffeine in a grande cup size and contains everything an espresso Frappuccino does except for the shot of espresso.
- Java Chip Frappuccino: This is also a high caffeine containing drink of almost 110mg. It does have a high calorie count, but it’s worth every taste.
- Caramel Ribbon Crunch Crème Frappuccino: This Frappuccino is for those who like caramel flavor but with no caffeine. Since this drink is only made with caramel syrup along with milk and ice, it contains 0 caffeine.
- Vanilla Bean Crème Frappuccino: Another drink that doesn’t contain any caffeine includes the vanilla bean Frappuccino, which is one of the top choices for all the caffeine non-lovers.
- Chai Crème Frappuccino: If you don’t like coffee but want caffeine, then this chai Frappuccino will do the job! Although it doesn’t contain a high amount of caffeine like the rest of the frappuccinos, it’s made of a few spices and black tea, which gives it a 40mg caffeine content.
What is a Decaf Frappuccino?
A decaf drink is a short form of decaffeinated coffee. In this, the caffeine is removed from the coffee beans by using organic solvents, water, or carbon dioxide.
However, remember that even though most of the caffeine content is taken out, some of it still remains in the coffee beans, so a decaf coffee won’t be completely caffeine-free.
There really isn’t an option for decaf Frappuccino; however, you can work your way around it by telling the barista not to add the frap roast; instead, use a decaf espresso shot as the base.